Life in Hollywood, below-the-line

Life in Hollywood, below-the-line
Work gloves at the end of the 2006/2007 television season (photo by Richard Blair)

Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Water Tower Project

I received an e-mail last week from a reader in England named Nat Bocking, who has a background in Hollywood (check out his IMDB page) and now runs a blog called “The Water Tower Project.” A man of eclectic interests and a wry sense of humor, Nat has crafted a rather cheeky flow chart outlining the power structure of the Industry – who sucks up to or gives the shaft to whom. It’s funny, informative, and pretty much dead-on. Check it out at: http://watertowerproject.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-hollywood-works.html


In a follow-up e-mail, Nat added “I would like to encourage others to investigate for themselves how Hollywood works. I suppose I should revise it that Axium shafts everybody but that's a given.”

You got that right, Nat. While our system of justice holds the accused to be innocent until proven guilty – even the likes of O.J., Jeffrey Dhalmer, and Cary Stayner -- I personally feel that the bastards who drove Axium off a cliff should be beaten to a bloody pulp by the cast of American Gladiators.

Unless they’re innocent, of course. We shall see. The fallout from the Axium implosion has yet to be fully assessed, but one thing’s for sure: it’s gonna be ugly.

5 comments:

D said...

Great link. My favorite was "Panavision" is a "kiss ass' to "cinematographers" and grips and gaffers are "blows". I laughed my ass off.

Unknown said...

Funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh.
-Meg

Scripty said...

Very Funny! I'm glad I happened across your blog! Nice to see other crew in the blogosphere!

I'd be afraid to ask where the script sup ends up in the chart!

Nat Bocking said...

If I recall, the Script Super has a pretty good position. OK, so they have to blow the Director and UPM and maybe the Editor but the Mixer, Camera Assistant and anybody concerned about continuity better kiss ass to them and they could shaft just about anybody working around the camera and get away with it. It's a tough and underrated job. Just try cutting a film without good reports!

Nat Bocking said...

I am really chuffed that in just a few days lots of other blogs have picked up on this and posted the chart on THEIR sites and lots of people have said they think it funny but this site is the only one that has had the grace to credit the author. That's Hollywood for you.