Life in Hollywood, below-the-line

Life in Hollywood, below-the-line
Work gloves at the end of the 2006/2007 television season (photo by Richard Blair)

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Another Giant Gone


















Photo courtesy of the LA Times

I awoke this morning to the radio announcing that Ray Bradbury had left this earthly realm and moved on to the next dimension. A quiet and thoughtful man, Bradbury was never one to toot his own very shiny horn, but his impact on our culture and technology cannot be overstated. Dreams precede and shape reality, and Ray Bradbury was a man who dreamed big.

I only met him once, a long time ago, on a memorable day very early in my Hollywood adventure – an event I wrote about in honor of his 90th birthday. I can't put it any better now than I did then.  In an era of blaring hype and raucous self-promotion, Ray Bradbury flew under the mainstream social radar, but his writing spoke loud and clear.  A genial and cerebral literary giant who once walked among us is now gone, leaving some very big footprints. He was one of a kind, an American original, and I doubt we'll see his like again.

Thanks, Ray, for everything.

1 comment:

C.B. said...

Yes, Bradbury was immensely talented. So refreshing to think of an icon without the whirlwind of self promotion. I met him as well and was really sad to read about his passing. A true visionary.