Life in Hollywood, below-the-line

Life in Hollywood, below-the-line
Work gloves at the end of the 2006/2007 television season (photo by Richard Blair)

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wednesday Tips 'o the Week

              Who says production doesn't have a sense of humor?

But first, a low-intensity rant:

Here we go again... my gmail inbox filling up with items like this: “There are a total of four messages awaiting your response. Visit your Inbox...”

Yes, it’s LinkedIn, still knocking on my digital door and demanding attention.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I don’t do LinkedIn. With the countdown clock ticking towards my own exit from Hollywood – a few years and counting -- there’s really no point. What ambitions I still harbor in life have nothing to do with the film and television industry. When it comes to Hollywood, I’m over and done, last years news, a mustard-stained hot dog wrapper blowing down the street and into the gutter.  I’m just playing out the string here, folks, so whoever you may be, there’s no earthly way linking your professional identity to me -- an aging, broken down, They Shoot Horses Don’t They?, ready-for-the-glue-factory juicer -- could possibly help advance your career. Besides, as I must continually remind myself, these missives are probably generated by a cold and soulless computer program rather than actual people, and can be disappeared by a light touch of the "delete" key.*

LinkedIn -- a minor irritant in this sea of trouble we call life...

In other news, Gavin Polone – having apparently survived the wrath of Nikki Finke – wrote a great post explaining why TV is better than movies these days. Maybe you'll agree and maybe not, but he makes a compelling case.  As always, Polone is an interesting read.

KCRW’s “The Business” has a fascinating interview with writer/director Derek Cianfrance (Blue Valentine ) discussing his new movie "The Place Beyond the Pines" and the delicate balancing act between art and business in making movies. I’ve tackled this subject before, but in my case, the discussion is pretty much academic -- there’s a lot of craft (and sweat) to juicing, but not much art. For a writer/director, though, that’s a very different issue, and Derek has an interesting perspective worth hearing. As an added plus, the interview was conducted in a restrained, intelligent manner by the show's producer Darby Maloney rather than the usual frenetic grilling by regular host Kim Masters.  I like Kim's show, but really wish she'd learn to shut the fuck up and let the interviewees speak without continual interruption.

Last but not least – and strictly for entertainment value – is this little gem, a two-minutes-and-change Utube clip of young actor Hunter Davis channeling the aging great Ian McKellen in a dramatic reading of “Baby Got Back.”

If you haven’t already seen it, do so. It’s not to be missed.

Those are your Tips 'o the Week.  Check 'em out...


* Yes, I understand  that LinkedIn works for some of you, and that's a good thing.  But -- in the immortal words of Devo -- it's not for me...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, those Linkedin notices are most likely a Phishing expedition (hey, my spell check vets "Phishing") designed to get you to sign in on a look-a-like site and give them your password, not that I can figure out how access to a Linkedin account has any value.
About the babies ad, I noticed a similar yet legit ad a while ago:
http://wp.me/p2IAg-Y5
Cheers,
Jerry

Michael Taylor said...

Jerry --

Maybe you're right about the phishing -- and that will allow me to delete every supposed LinkedIn missive that comes my way. Thanks...

AJ in Nashville said...

Just checking in to see how my old curmudgeonly friend is doing... ;)

Hey there, Michael! What's shakin'?

As for me, LinkedIn is still useful, but like any "established" social media vehicle, those who are either unaware or careless are ripe for abuse. That's particularly true with LinkedIn, because whether or not you're particularly 'into' social media, you likely have a LinkedIn account, particularly if you're trying to find (or find a better) job. Unfortunately, I currently find myself in the former category.

When I started receiving emails (supposedly from LinkedIn) on an email account that's not even remotely connected to my existing LinkedIn account, I knew things had gotten out of hand. Fact is, LinkedIn has actually had some security breaches in recent months and earlier this summer required everyone, system-wide, to change their passwords. So the concerns are obvious.

Now I just make it policy to ignore the direct links in emails and simply log on in a regular browser page to check on 'new' messages in my LinkedIn inbox.

Also, you can always hover over any link you receive in an email to see a popup revealing the link's actual address; that's usually a good way to determine if it's a phishing exercise or not.

Hope all is well, Michael. And thanks for keeping my blog listed in your blogroll. It was a pleasant surprise to see that. :)

Michael Taylor said...

AJ --

Sorry to hear you've joined the ranks of the unemployed, but a man with your skills shouldn't stay on the bench for long.

Thanks for the heads-up re: LinkedIn. I can't even remember my password at this point, and just delete anything that appears to come from that source.

My habit is to keep links to all active blogs up on my blogroll -- only when there's been no new posts for two years do I remove such links. And you do have a active blog.

Hope you find suitable employment soon.