Life in Hollywood, below-the-line

Life in Hollywood, below-the-line
Work gloves at the end of the 2006/2007 television season (photo by Richard Blair)

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Save the Biz Video

The following e-mail dropped in my box last week. Lacking a broadband connection, I haven't been able to watch the video yet, but it sounds like something Industry people should see.

"I stumbled upon your site the other day, and would like to bring to your attention a video circulating the web that your readers may want to see: a brief video against the SAG strike. This short video was produced in an effort to inform people about the ill effects that would accompany a SAG strike. Please help us spread the word against a SAG strike before it’s too late. The benefits go beyond what you see on the big screen. Watch the video here: http://www.savethebiz.org/"

I don't know the person who sent this to me, but the website looks to be for real. Ordinarily, I wouldn't post a link to something I haven't actually seen, but Lord knows when I'll get within shouting distance of a broadband-connected computer, so I'm taking a leap of faith here. A SAG strike would be a calamity right now, and anything we can do to prevent it is worth the effort.

I hear SAG will be meeting later today to discuss the strike authorization vote. There's an interesting rumor floating around that Doug Allen -- chief negotiator for SAG against the AMPTP -- just might get fired. I certainly hope so, and that with any luck, Allen will soon be joined on the unemployment lines by his fellow hard-core bomb-thrower Alan Rosenberg.

Hey, this is Hollywood -- we can always dream...

6 comments:

doug said...

That's a great video, hopefully it gets around quick.

A strike would be bad for New York too, and especially us recent grads trying to start our careers in the midst of this recession.

But great blog, I'm 22 and I really appreciate your honest pragmatic take on things.

I just did my second Condor duty last week, in January, in New York. I hope that counts toward my dues. Just put in my application to Local 52 last week as well, as a Juicer. Wish me luck...

Michael Taylor said...

Doug;

It's seldom easy to break in, but right now seems particularly tough -- and if the actors strike, only commercials will be left. You've got to be well-connected indeed to crack that market.

Jeeze, condor duty in NY -- in freakin' January??? Yikes. I'd say you just made a BIG down payment on those dues.

Good luck, and thanks for tuning in.

Anonymous said...

Doug,

Good luck, as you know things are lean right now.

I just joined the Local 480 here in New Mexico in October. Since then I have only worked four days. I had to go back to my old field of TV News while things are slow.

Hopefully SAG won't strike, because I really want to have the chance to build a career. And I don't know if there would be anything to build if they strike now.

Peggy Archer said...

I got the same email with the link. I think they're mass emailing every film industry related blog they can.

Michael Taylor said...

A friend -- who (unlike me) lives in the 21st Century with broadband -- watched the video and reports that it's a pretty effective piece of work.

I don't really know how much good such a video can do, since our fate lies in the hands of SAG -- which didn't fire Doug Allen after all, unfortunately -- but at least Savethebiz is trying to spread the word. It can't hurt.

sammyray said...

It's a well-made video, and it certainly makes its point solidly. At some point, union members need to realize that there is a limit to how far they can take a grudge or their demands.

www.sammyray.com