Life in Hollywood, below-the-line

Life in Hollywood, below-the-line
Work gloves at the end of the 2006/2007 television season (photo by Richard Blair)

Friday, June 11, 2010

Good Stuff

More from Mick LaSalle...

Once again I point you to the work of Mick LaSalle, senior film critic for the San Francisco Chronicle. Mick has two terrific movie reviews in today’s paper, showcasing very different facets of his sharp eye, crisp wit, and thoughtful writing. Although I don’t necessarily agree with everything he says about any given movie, his reviews are always worth reading. I've probably learned more about narrative structure and why a film does or doesn't work from reading Mick's reviews than anything I managed to absorb in four years of college. His perspectives often drag me around a corner to view things from a very different angle -- a rare and illuminating quality in any form of media review -- and sometimes, they make me laugh out loud.

That’s good too -- especially these days.

There’s a little of everything in these two, one on the new documentary Joan Rivers: a Piece of Work, and the other dissecting the latest cinematic/cultural retread, The A Team.

Whether I'll like either of these movies remains to be seen, but I'm giving two thumbs up to the reviews.

Check ‘em out.

No comments: